Thursday, January 13, 2011

Module One

Hi everyone-
This is Adrianna, most people call me Annie. I am in the NNP program. I live in Logan and have worked in the NICU for 8 years. Prior to that I worked on Peds for a couple years. I think that I have really found my niche' in the NICU, and I am excited to become a NNP.
Why is it important for a graduate level nurse to know about information management?
As a graduate level nurse I think it is important to be knowledgeable about vast variety of information available. The information could help manage a budget, organize a supply list, present new or pertinent information to staff, produce a staff schedule, and organize and present personal information. The list could go on and on. I believe that a graduate level nurse should have a general idea about the technologies out there not be afraid to venture out and learn new programs.
Information Technology in my unit:
The most recent advancement in technology in my unit is the installment of web cams in each of the individual rooms in the NICU. With these camera's the family members of the babies are allowed to call and we can turn on the web cam and they can view their baby. This includes siblings , grandparents and others who may live far away. The families really seem to love this, because while in the NICU the parents are only able to list 4 people that may visit the baby. Children under the age of 14 are not allowed in the unit. We do this in hopes to minimize the exposure to infections from the "outside".
Other technologies we use include: vocera's to communicate with each other and other departments. We still do paper charting, but we chart and scan our medications on the computer. We also view our x-rays on a computer. Many of our pediatricians are able to view the x rays at home or in thier offices. This is especially convenient in the middle of the night.

I am looking forward to learning more about information technology in this class!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent comments Adrianna, I agree with your comments on IT, especially with the push on EBP IT can help clinicians in decision making among other things. I am looking forward to reading more from you during the semester and keep us posted on the webcam project.

    ReplyDelete